Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt

One of my favorite meals in the summer is without a doubt, Chicken Salad.

It's so light and fresh that it just makes me go "Ahhh".  And with 10" of snow on the ground, the farthest thing I'm feeling right now is "Ahhh" LoL. So I'm thinking to myself...I'd really love some Chicken Salad right now, to make me remember that lovely summer feeling it gives me.

But how one earth can one eat Chicken Salad when she's going through a Lifestyle change and calorie counting? I mean, it has TONS of mayo in it!!

I HAD to figure out a way to make it, and make it healthy, so I Googled my little heart out and talked to some girls I'm in a group with...the main consensus was...Greek Yogurt.

Ok...sure...sounds great! I've never had it and it's so good for you, of course it was the logical explanation. So I trek into the kitchen, chop my fruit, veg, and chicken and pull out the Plain Greek Yogurt. I open it, stir it, smell it (I always smell stuff), and think to myself "Just try it. You like regular yogurt, how can this be so different". I dip the spoon in and have a little taste.

OH YUCK!!! This stuff is terrible!

But I'm NOT going to give up. I refuse. There must be some way to use this stuff and not have to hold my nose while gagging it down...I open the refrigerator and search the shelves. Soy Sauce...ok...this could work! I love Soy Sauce! I mix it in really well and have a taste...eh...it's DEFINITELY better, but still needs something...a bit of sweet I think. I grab the honey bear. Yep. That's what it needed. I mix it into my chopped veg, fruit, and chicken and take a taste...IT'S GOOD!

Thank Goodness. I was really going to miss my Chicken Salad if this didn't work...

So here goes....my Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad...oh and if anyone can come up with a clever name, I'd love to hear it! I'm not good at coming up with that kind of stuff.

Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt

Ingredients
  • 2 small chicken breasts (or 1 large)...it came to about a cup diced.
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped to your preferred size (I cut in half long ways and then diced)
  • 1/2 cup of small grapes, halved
  • 1/2 apple (your favorite type...I used Golden) diced
Dressing
  • 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 TBSP Soy Sauce
  • 1 TSP Honey (or use Honey Flavored Greek Yogurt)
Directions
  1. Chop or Shred Chicken, add into a bowl with the chopped fruits and celery.
  2. In a separate bowl mix up your dressing.
  3. Dump it over the top of your chicken and fruits and mix so that your dressing is covering the rest of your ingredients.
  4. Now eat it up! I ate mine on Wheat Thins Flat Bread Crackers and it was delicious :)
Mine made approx. 2 cups, but you could easily double the recipe. You could also add other fruits/veggies to your liking, even some nuts would be good (just remember to adjust the Nutrition Information for whatever you add!)
Serving size is per 2/3 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment