Thursday, January 20, 2011

Oatmeal Bake - 2 ways

SO...if you are anything at all like me, you get pretty darn tired of eating the same thing day in and day out...especially for breakfast.

Generally for breakfast, you want something quick that you can feed yourself and your kids on the way out the door, BUT you still want it to be healthy and filling. SO whenever I saw this recipe on the Kath Eats blog, I just KNEW I had to try it.

I mean, what's better than good, healthy oatmeal that you can actually TAKE with you if you need to?!

I'll tell you what...nothing (that I've found so far)!

So being trapped inside my home from a snowstorm, I had NONE of the ingredients to make this, but Chelsie did, so I lived vicariously through her...she made a version with blueberries and bananas and sent me pictures to drool over (I couldn't taste her's after all because I was stuck at home and besides that...New York is a long way to travel from Missouri...even for yummy food haha).

FINALLY, a week later, I got to the grocery store and was able to make this delicious concoction. OH MY GOSH...it's fantastic! I did change up the Recipe from the original one I found (as did Chelsie), so I will post the recipe for Chelsie's first (with photo) and then my recipe (with photo).

You have to try this...it's so easy (as ALL of my recipes are, if you haven't noticed), and so good and so ridiculously healthy.

Chelsie's Blueberry/Banana Oatmeal Bake

Ingredients
  • 1 extra large egg
  • 2 cups, dry, oatmeal (Old Fashioned, but if you all you have is Quick Oats, they work too)
  • 1 ½ cups 2% milk
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ cup unpacked brown sugar
Directions
  1. preheat oven to 375º.  Mix dry ingredients, oatmeal,  baking powder and cinnamon, set aside.
  2. Mix wet, one egg (beaten), mashed banana,  milk, vanilla, mix well and pour into dry ingredients, mix all together and spread into 8 inch square sprayed baking pan. Add blueberries to top.
  3. Bake for 25 minutes, then add brown sugar to top, turn oven to broil and leave in another 3-4 minutes. Remove and cut into 9 squares.
Nutrition: Servings: 9  ● Total Calories (for pan): 1120  ● Calories per serving: 140



Since I'm not crazy about the taste of banana's baked into things, I cut down the amount of banana I used. I also used Unsweetened Almond Milk and Splenda Brown Sugar on mine...BUT after reading a few things that made my stomach turn, I have decided to use up my Splenda supply and switch to something a little less...poisonous. SO when I figure out what that will be...I will post again...besides, I have a few different ideas for this recipe that I hope will be mind blowing. (we shall see...haha)

Trisha's Cinnamon Banana Oatmeal Bake

Ingredients

  • 1 small banana mashed (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 small banana sliced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 cups Old Fashioned Oats (Quick Oats will work too if that's all you have)
  • 1 ½ cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
  • 1 TBSP Cinnamon
  • 1 Large Egg (beaten)
  • 1TBSP Vanilla
  • 1 TSP Baking Powder
  • 2 TBSP Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
  • 5-6 Whole Pecans, Chopped Finely (optional) 
 Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375º. In a bowl mix together wet ingredients (egg, mashed banana, vanilla, almond milk), set aside.
  2. In another bowl mix the dry ingredients (oats, cinnamon, baking powder). Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well.
  3. Pour mixture into a greased (I sprayed mine) 8x8 pan (I couldn't find my 8x8 so found one close to this size) and add sliced bananas to the top. Bake for 25 minutes.
  4. When it has finished baking, pull it out and sprinkle the brown sugar and pecans on top. Turn oven to 'Broil' and leave in oven for another 5 minutes.
  5. When it's finished take it out and cut into 9 pieces (if you used 8x8 pan) or 8 pieces (like I did because my pan was rectangle) and ENJOY!!
You can refrigerate leftovers and when you want one take it out of the fridge and pop it into the microwave for about 25 seconds, reheat in the oven, or slide your piece into the toaster!

Servings: 8 (or 9) ● Total Calories (for pan): 1096 ● Calories per serving (if cut into 8): 137 ● Calories per serving (if cut into 9): 122

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!!

No comments:

Post a Comment